Check-in is at 4 pm; Check-out is at 11 am, unless another time is arranged.
NO SMOKING in any Shrine Mont building (including porches)!
NO CANDLES are permitted in any Shrine Mont building.
NO ROLLER BLADES OR SKATEBOARDS are allowed on Shrine Mont property
The use of illegal drugs is strictly prohibited.
Shrine Mont does not assume responsibility for loss of property. Items left at Shrine Mont will be returned if possible at the guest’s expense.
Shrine Mont reserves the right to assess extra charges for damage to property beyond normal wear and tear. (This also includes damages to walls from the use of tape, thumbtacks, etc.).
Groups and individual guests will be billed for all meals ordered at the time a final count of the group is given (7 business days prior to arrival).
- Quiet Hour is 10:00 pm.
- Groups must submit a participant list with their Shrine Mont housing and the conference agenda to Guest Services. For emergency purposes, Shrine Mont must have a finalized participant list with Shrine Mont housing furnished upon arrival.
At check out, the retreat-coordinator should fill out a Check-Out Form located at the Virginia House Front Desk. The final bill will be based on this information.
Shrine Mont will not collect payment from individuals within the group. Any exceptions must be cleared in advance.
Shrine Mont welcomes children and children’s programs. Children should not be brought to a conference unless they are to be fully included in the conference and/or under adult supervision at all times.
Individual Cancellation for Shrine Mont Guests and Programs
Cancellations made 30 days before event’s start will be fully refunded less a $50 service fee
Cancellations made 14 – 29 days before the event’s start will be refunded 50% of the registration fee
Cancellations made less than 14 days before the event’s start will not be refunded.
Parish Retreats and other large groups paying a master bill are asked to send Shrine Mont $10 per person or $150, whichever is higher with confirmation of booking.
- Cancellations 90 days prior to scheduled arrival date – a full refund of deposit less a $50 processing fee.
- Cancellations 89-60 days prior to scheduled arrival date – 50% refund of deposit less a $50 processing fee.
- Cancellation less than 60 days prior to your arrival – no refund of deposit.
Normal Shrine Mont business hours are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. During the season the Virginia House front desk is staffed 24 hours a day.
There is a “Tip Box” in each dining facility. Tips are equally distributed to kitchen staff and housekeeping staff. Tipping is at the discretion of the group or individual.
There are no phones in any of the rooms or cottages. Guests may use the phone located in the Virginia House lobby or Tucker Hall. Cell phone service is very limited. All phone messages come directly to the office. Shrine Mont staff will do their best to deliver your messages.
In case of emergency Shrine Mont’s main number – (540) 856-2141 – can be reached 24 hours a day.
All public and meeting spaces offer complimentary WI-FI.
Bedrooms are designed to be restful and relaxing. There are no telephones or televisions in the rooms.
- Guests are encouraged to bring rain gear, flashlight and bug spray and are welcome bring extra pillows, pool towels, toiletries and a fan.
Shrine Mont is a “Walking Campus” and we ask that guests leave their cars parked in the designated lots during their stay. Use of vehicles is discouraged unless absolutely necessary.
Guests staying “Downhill” should park in the designated lots south of the Lower Pavilion or west of the Virginia House.
Guests staying “Downhill” may unload their vehicles between the seven row cottages and the Maryland or Pennsylvania House prior to parking their vehicle in the designated lots.
Parking is prohibited along the gravel road between Maryland House, Pennsylvania House, 7 row cottages, lawns or other grassy areas. This is due to Fire Regulations and accessibility to these areas by emergency vehicles. This policy will be strictly adhered to and towing will be enforced if necessary.
Only charging Electronic Vehicles may park at the EV charging stations.
For guests staying in the “Uphill” cottages, there is some additional parking next to Atkeson Cottage and in front of Brown and Art Hall.
- Handicapped parking is designated west of the Virginia House, adjacent to the Pennsylvania House, and near Art Hall.
ALCOHOL AT SHRINE MONT
When alcoholic beverages are served, ample nonalcoholic beverages must also be provided in an equally attractive manner.
The group leader must consult with the Executive Director prior to the serving of any alcoholic beverages.
No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the public areas such as dining rooms or lobbies unless as part of a private event authorized by the Executive Director prior to arrival.
Alcohol is not to be served to minors according to state laws.
A responsible adult must be in charge of the distribution and storage of alcoholic beverages to ensure that they are consumed in an appropriate manner and not being offered to any minors present.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be left unattended or overnight.
(More information can be found on the Area Attractions & Services Page)
AED’s are located on site in the Virginia House Lobby and Brown Hall
Shenandoah Memorial Hospital is located in Woodstock, VA – 30 minutes from Shrine Mont.
Urgent Care is located in Mt. Jackson, VA – 20 minutes from Shrine Mont
Local Fire, Police and Rescue Squad available. (911)
- Pharmacies are located in Mt. Jackson (Mt. Jackson Pharmacy), Woodstock (CVS or Walmart), and Timberville (Walmart).
Weddings At Shrine mont
Wedding services may only take place in the Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration and with written approval of the Bishop of Virginia. Weddings are scheduled around Shrine Mont conference schedules and approval from the Bishop does not guarantee availability for a wedding at a specific desired date and time. Saturday afternoon weddings may be difficult to schedule due to conferences already booked to use the facilities for meetings and events.
Shrine Mont recommends the following process:
- Contact Shrine Mont Guest Services to see if your preferred wedding date and desired facilities (rooms for reception, accommodations for guests, etc.) are available. This preliminary consultation is only to check on the feasibility of the date and does not imply any reservation or contract. Nothing may be booked until the Bishop has approved the wedding.
- The officiating clergy must submit the APPLICATION TO OFFICIATE to the Bishop of Virginia per the instructions on the form. Please note that officiating clergy must be ordained clergy in a Christian denomination and in Good Standing with their Ecclesiastical Authority. The application may be downloaded here or obtained from Shrine Mont. The response time from the bishop’s office is no less than 30 days.
- Upon receipt of approval from the Bishop, a request for use of the the Cathedral Shrine and related facilities may be submitted to Shrine Mont’s Guest Services and booked depending on availability.
- Upon booking, a fifty percent deposit is required when confirming the date. The balance is due on the day of the event.
Please note the following policies:
- The rate for use of the Cathedral Shrine is $500. Rates for other space for receptions are dependent on the number of guest rooms reserved and booked by the wedding party and will be negotiated with Guest Services.
- Shrine Mont does not cater. If a caterer needs to use Shrine Mont kitchen facilities, prior approval is required. Rates for kitchen use vary upon request and can be obtained at the time of request.
- Use of Shrine Mont’s tables, chairs and other equipment is limited. Consult a local rental business if extra equipment is needed, for example, round tables, chairs, linens, etc.
- No candles in Shrine Mont buildings. No exceptions.
- Alcohol consumption is limited to beer, wine, and champagne only. There must be ample alternative non alcoholic beverages prominently available.
- Quiet hour at Shrine Mont is 10:00 p.m. This time will be strictly enforced.
Contact Guest Services for additional information.