The Maryland House is one of the oldest buildings in the Shrine Mont complex. It was completed in 1855 as one of the first buildings in the Orkney Springs Hotel. Legend has it that The Maryland House served as a hospital during the Civil War, but research indicates that this was not the case.
The Maryland House was renovated in the mid 1980's and has fifty sleeping rooms each with a private bath and comfortable accommodations for two people. There is also a sitting room on the first floor and an open air courtyard giving interior rooms sunlight and fresh air.
The courtyard contains Nellie's Garden built in memory of Nellie Moomaw by the Guild of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Mt. Jackson. Nellie was the wife of Shrine Mont's long-time Director Wilmer Moomaw and was herself an institution of warmth and hospitality at Shrine Mont.
Download a floor plan of the first floor of The Maryland House.
Download a floor plan of the second floor of The Maryland House.
For more information about The Maryland House contact Guest Services.