The Cathedral Shrine of The Transfiguration
The Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration, an open-air cathedral of the Diocese of Virginia, was consecrated in 1925. Each of its stones was pulled by horse or rolled by local people from the mountain that embraces it. The baptismal font was originally a dugout stone used by Indians to grind corn. The Shrine is the site of regular weekly worship and is available for groups and conferences for their worship. Click here for Sunday worship times at the Shrine.
The Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration was built by The Rev. Edmund Lee Woodward, M.D. in 1924 and 1925. Dr. Woodward had retired to Orkney Springs after serving as a medical missionary to China, Editor of the Virginia Churchman and Dean of the Church Schools of the Diocese of Virginia. Dr. Woodward and his wife Frances Gibson Woodward had vacationed in Orkney Springs at Tanglewood, the summer home of Mrs. Woodward's father, the Rt. Rev. Robert Atkinson Gibson, the sixth Bishop of Virginia.
In 1922 Dr. Woodward purchased the Tanglewood cottage (now Gibson cottage) and built a log cabin nearby for him and Mrs. Woodward to live. Soon thereafter Dr. Woodward began to envision a place of worship on the mountain. On August 6, 1925 the Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. William Cabell Brown, D.D., Bishop of Virginia and dedicated to the memory of Bishop Gibson.
The Cathedral Shrine of the Transfiguration remains the core of Shrine Mont and since its founding thousands of people have worshiped in the Shrine.
|© Shrine Mont PO Box 10, 217 Shrine Mont Circle, Orkney Springs, VA 22845 | (540) 856-2141 | (540) 856-8520 fax | email@example.com